I am buying or renting a home in Reynoldsburg. What do I need to do?

Please call the Reynoldsburg Water Department at 614-322-6811 to let us know your new Reynoldsburg address. We will need to know your date of closing and your move in date. We also need what name that you want on the account and your telephone number. If your new home does not have an electronic reading device, we will need to set appointment with you so that we may come to your home and get a final reading. If your new home has an electronic reading device, then no appointment will be necessary for us to obtain the final reading and put the account in your name.

You are billed for water, sewer, refuse and storm water. Storm water is a charge that is required by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency to help maintain the lakes, rivers and streams here in the State of Ohio. It also helps to maintain the different storm sewers you see located around town.

In addition, a $100 deposit is required for rental properties.

Show All Answers

1. How can I save money when I water outside?
2. My water usage is going up. How can I check for leaks?
3. I am buying or renting a home in Reynoldsburg. What do I need to do?
4. I'm moving. How do I finalize my billing?
5. How can payments be made on an account?
6. How do I check for leaks?
7. I hear water running when no one is using it and then it stops. What is it?
8. What are the pink or dark stains in the toilet or on fixtures?
9. Do I have to be billed for the refuse if a house is vacant?
10. There is a leak in my line. Who is responsible to fix it?
11. What is an auxiliary meter?
12. Can I get credit on my sewer bill when I fill my pool?
13. Can I fill my pool through a fire hydrant?