Do I need a lawyer to represent me?

You are always entitled to have an attorney represent you at any stage of the proceedings in this court. That decision is only yours to make. You are not required to have an attorney in our Mayor's court and a prosecutor will speak with you alone if you so choose. If at any point you decide you would feel more comfortable with attorney representation, you may request a continuance to obtain one. Our court does not provide public defenders. If you wish to obtain one, you may have your case transferred to the county in which the violation occurred so that you can apply to have a public defender assigned to represent you.

Show All Answers

1. Where do I go first?
2. Do I need a lawyer to represent me?
3. Will the Mayor hear my case?
4. Is the Magistrate’s order final?
5. What should I bring with me to court?
6. How long should I expect to be at court?
7. What should I wear and how do I conduct myself?